• Exceptional interviewer, particularly where research or complex content is involved;
• Career journalist covering criminal law, education, general news and politics;
• Magazine editor including story development and work with freelance writers
• Clear, lively writing;
• Clean copy, on deadline.
Blogger, openculture.com 2011 to present
Regular blogger for premiere culture and educational curatorial site.
Senior Writer, U.C. Berkeley College of Engineering, 2011-2012
Produced magazine pieces about research based upon interviews with faculty and students from the college.
Replacing the Osterizer as Standard Lab Equipment
Development Writer 2007 to 2011
Produced magazine articles for U.C. Berkeley’s College of Letters and Science,
including profiles of faculty and news stories about research in the humanities
and social sciences.
U.S. Safe From Japan Radiation
A Different Kind of Language Syllabus
Faces of Immigration Studies at Cal
Communications Consultant, 2006 to 2010
Produced union newsletters, brochures, professional
development materials, white paper documents, annual reports, executive
summaries and comprehensive technical reports for policy organizations,
including the educational research lab WestEd and the venture capital firm New
Schools Venture Fund.
Magazine Editor, East Bay Monthly, 2001-2006
Assigned and edited articles for regional magazine. Collaborated with co-editor to develop editorial calendars and with production manager on the visual presentation of the magazine each month.
• Masters of Journalism, U.C. Berkeley, 1997
• Bachelors of Arts, Journalism, U.C. Santa Cruz, 1989
• Foreign study, University of Stirling, Scotland, 1985-86